CoolClimate Official Rules & Regulations
CONTEST BEGINS AT 12:00:00 AM (PT) ON JULY 13, 2010 AND ENDS AT 11:59:59 PM (PT) ON SEPTEMBER 6, 2010 (THE "CONTEST PERIOD"). CONTEST IS SOLELY SPONSORED BY THE CREATIVE VISIONS FOUNDATION IN LOS ANGELES, CA, U.S.A.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
1. HOW TO ENTER: Membership to www.deviantart.com is required to enter the Contest. Membership to www.deviantart.com is free. If Entrant is already a registered member, Entrant is not automatically entered into the Contest. Entrant must follow the instructions on coolclimate.deviantart.com (the "Contest Site") and submit the completed entry as directed at the Contest Site. Residents of the United States and residents of any other country will be prompted to submit his or her work to either the United States gallery or to the International gallery at the Contest Site. Entrant must be at least 18 years old as of July 13, 2010. Contest is void where prohibited by law. ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59:59 PM (PT) ON SEPTEMBER 6, 2010.
2. WHAT TO ENTER: We are calling on artists worldwide to help give form and expression to the issue of climate change in its many forms -- how it is impacting our lives and what can be done to ensure a sustainable future for all of Earth's inhabitants. Your mission: submit a work of art that explores our relationship with the climate -- the subject choice is yours. It should however express in some way your feelings about climate change or your vision for a future. Themes might include:
- Clean Energy Jobs - Creating and protecting millions of jobs by spurring investment in growing a clean energy economy.
- A More Secure World - Improving our international security by enhancing energy independence, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, and getting our planet running on clean energy.
- Less Pollution - Reducing the carbon pollution that's harming our air and water, and endangering the health of the planet.
The Work: (i) may not have won any other prize/award; (ii) must be the exclusive original work of the entrant; (iii) must be in keeping with the Sponsor's image; (iv) may not be inappropriate, offensive, libelous or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion; (v) must not be harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, obscene, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion; (vi) may not violate or encourage others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation; (vii) may not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or property rights or any other third party rights, or involve physical harm to any person or animal; (viii) may not contain commercial/corporate advertising, including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names, and slogans, other than those relating to the Sponsor or those used in a purely descriptive context; (ix) may not include any viruses, worms, corrupt files, Trojan horses, or other forms of corruptive code or content that may harm or compromise the Contest Site and/or the proper conduct of the Contest; (x) may not use any watermarks; (xi) may not specifically reference political candidates or use the image of a political candidate; (xii) may not benefit public officials or candidates for elected office or be advantageous to one political party or another, as the contest is nonpartisan and (xiii) if found to be in violation of these rules will be disqualified and therefore removed from the Contest Site Gallery.
You must submit the Work to either the United States gallery or to the International gallery at the Contest Site on the basis of your actual place of residency at the time of the submission.
By submitting the Work, entrant represents that (i) (s)he has the unrestricted right to submit the Work; (ii) all persons whose name, voice or likeness appears in the Work ("Work Participants") have unconditionally consented in writing to their appearance in the Work and unconditionally granted entrant in writing the right to submit the Work subject to these Official Rules, a copy of which consent and grant will be furnished to the Sponsors upon request; and (iii) the Work does not infringe upon any third party's proprietary or other rights.
All Works submitted will remain the exclusive property of the Entrant, provided that:
- during the Contest Period, and for a period of one year thereafter, eligible Works submitted to the Contest may be posted at the Contest Site or otherwise displayed in selections made by Sponsor and those authorized by Sponsor in any form and media on or off the Contest Site in connection with promotion of the Contest and/or Sponsor's support of environmental causes.
- during the ten (10) year period immediately following the Contest Period (the "Display Period"), the Sponsor and those authorized by Sponsor may (but will not be obligated to) display Finalist and Award Winning Works in any form and media in connection with the support of environmental causes.
- the Sponsor and those authorized by Sponsor may, but are not required to, use the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Place Award Winning Works ("Award Winning Works") in connection with the support of environmental causes on and in connection with any media or promotion including reproduction in copies on a non-exclusive basis in perpetuity.
- the Sponsors may otherwise use Award Winning Works in such manner and upon such terms and conditions as the relevant entrant may approve in writing (such approval not to be unreasonably withheld, delayed or conditioned); and
- Entrant may not authorize or permit any Award Winning Work to be used to promote any product or service of any party other than entrant and the Sponsors during the Display Period.
3. WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE ART: The top five winners of the popular vote will be the Award Winning Works. They will be named as the "Top 5 Climate Artists" of 2010 and featured on the Planet Green Planet100 show. They will also be showcased at key leader events and disseminated to non-profits and the press with appropriate credit to the Entrants.
The Award Winning Works from the United States may be used by Sponsor and those it authorizes, as set out above, on a non-exclusive basis for any and all purposes in connection with the promotion of the environmental causes with no further obligation to the Entrant of a Winning Entry. In the event Sponsor desires to acquire other rights from a Finalist or Award Winning Entrant, Entrant agrees to consider in good faith a donation of the work in question to Sponsor or will negotiate a reasonable fee.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Works will be judged on the basis of (i) Originality in Expressing the Theme, (ii) Creative application, (iii) Effectiveness in Communicating Ecological Challenges or Solutions and (iv) Technical Skill all in whatever degree the judges determine among themselves with consideration given to opinions expressed in the comments section of the galleries for the Works. Sponsor will convene two panels of judges. The first set of judges, which will include staff members responsible for the conduct of the contest, will review all qualifying Works submitted to the contest in order to create a pool of Semi-Finalists from each of the International and United States galleries. A second set of judges on the list available here will select from the respective pools Finalists from the International gallery and from the United States gallery. Only one entry per entrant may be chosen as a finalist entry. The finalists will be placed for public voting on the Huffingtonpost.com. The results of the public voting will be posted to the Contest Site at the conclusion.
5. CASH AWARDS: Courtesy of Creative Visions Foundation, a U.S. based nonprofit organization, 3 symbolic cash awards will be awarded for the three top-ranking United States Finalists selected by the judges before public voting: First prize $600, Second prize $350, Third prize $150. Due to funding restrictions, the CoolClimate Art Contest is unable to make cash awards to International finalists.
6. ELIGIBILITY: Contest open to individual artists eighteen (18) years old as of July 1, 2010 except employees and volunteers (and their immediate families and members of the same household) of Sponsor or those administering or promoting the contest, their affiliates, agents, judges and advertising and promotion agencies.
7. VERIFICATION OF FINALISTS AND USE OF NAME AND LIKENESS: Potential Finalists may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and liability release and, where permitted, a publicity release. Qualification as a Finalist may be forfeited if affidavit or releases are not returned within 2 days after contact with a potential Finalist through the deviantART messaging system. Semi-Finalists agree to Sponsor' use of his/her name, address, likeness, and/or cash award information for promotional purposes in any medium without additional compensation to the extent permitted by law.
8. SEMI-FINALIST, FINALIST, AND WINNERS LIST: To view a list of Finalists and Winners, go to coolclimate.deviantart.com. Winners list will be available after their selection and verification. The list of Finalists will be posted on or about October 10, 2010. Semi-Finalists selected by the preliminary panel of judges will be posted on the CoolClimate "Featured Entries" folder. The Finalists will be featured in the "Finalists" Folder and the Winners list will be available after their selection and verification on the CoolClimate Group Page. The list of Semi-finalists will be posted on or about September 10, 2010. The list of Finalists along with U.S. Cash Award Finalists will be posted on our about September 21, 2010. Winners will be posted on or about October 10, 2010.
9. GENERAL: This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law and is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. This Contest will be governed by the internal laws of California, U.S.A. without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the California or any other jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the California. Any and all legal actions or claims arising in connection with this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction within the California. Sponsor and judges not responsible for late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, misaddressed, postage due, incorrectly posted, incorrect or misdirected entries, mail or communications, for errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines or data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry materials, loss or otherwise. Sponsor and judges not responsible for electronic communications which are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in entrant's account(s) to receive messages.
Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, or accessing, posting, uploading or downloading information in connection with, this Contest, and reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend this Contest should any virus, bug, technical failures, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor's reasonable control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In the event of any such cancellation, termination or suspension, a notice will be posted on the Contest Site and the winners will be selected from among all eligible entries received prior to such time. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant from this Contest or any other promotion conducted now or in the future by Sponsor or any of their affiliates if the entrant's fraud or misconduct adversely affects the integrity of the Contest. By participating in this Contest, each entrant accepts the conditions stated in these Official Rules, agrees to be bound by the decisions of the judges and warrants that s/he is eligible to participate in this Contest. By accepting a cash award, winner agrees to release Sponsor, their directors, employees, officers, and agents, including without limitation, their advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of the cash award or participation in any ward-related activities.
The Group routinely collects information about its visitors, subscribers, members, and customers. This information is obtained in various ways, such as: submitting art for the contest; pages or 'pop ups' where you register for a newsletter or subscribe to a mailing list; your participation in visitor surveys, bulletin boards, or public forums; requesting information from the Group using Group messaging systems or via email, mail, or courier; joining an affiliate program or other membership organization, paid or unpaid ; and/or communicating with the Group.
You should assume that your web-viewing or web-use activity is monitored, tracked, and information collected.
In making your decision whether or not to view or interact with this Group, you should assume that information collected is shared with other persons or entities for commercial purposes even though Administrators have no intent to use such information for commercial purposes.
By providing to this Group information about you, such as an email address, you waive all rights to file complaints concerning unsolicited email or spam from this web group since, by providing such information, you agree to receive communication from us. However, all email communication with you shall contain an 'unsubscribe' link where you may notify the web group that you no longer wish to receive solicitations or information from the web group and your name will be removed from the general solicitation database.
This Group will undertake measures it deems appropriate to protect its data that contains information related to you except as publicly posted by you. You acknowledge that any information given to the Group with a submission to the Contest is understood by you to be public information. You waive all claims of any nature against Sponsor of Administrators concerning the loss, alteration, or misuse of such information. You should assume that it is possible for your personal data to be obtained by others, such as "hackers," and used in an inappropriate manner that may cause you harm and that you agree that the Group is not responsible for damages to you.
SPONSOR: Creative Visions Foundation, 1223 Sunset Plaza Dr Suite B, West Hollywood, CA 90069
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS CONTEST: Send a note to coolclimate.deviantart.com